The next 3-week set of solo classes: 24th November, 1st and 8th of December at St Michael’s School Hall
Pre-registration required (email us!) by 5pm Tuesday 25th November.
After the success of our last two sets of solo classes we have some more great solo classes lined up for you! We are still not ready to resume partner dancing,* but we are confident that we can run solo dancing classes safely within the Covid level 2 guidelines.
6:15pm – Trickeration with Caroline – learn this classic solo Jazz routine danced and taught around the world by Norma Miller, it has origins in the chorus dancers at Harlem’s Apollo theatre around themid 1930’s. This class is intermediate-advanced level, we’d expect you to know a range of jazz moves such as those in recent classes or other strolls e.g. Shim Sham, and be prepared to mix them up a bit – it doesn’t have “trick” in the name of the routine for no reason! We don’t cover this one in Christchurch very often so this is a great opportunity and will be heaps of fun! (Performance troupe members encouraged to attend!).
7:30pm Open Level Solo Jazz with Jethro – you may have met him at CSF or teaching at Dunedin’s Mid-Winter Swing, but either way we are pleased to welcome Jethro to Christchurch and have him teach some classes whilst he’s here! This set is going to focus on musicality for solo jazz and will be a lot of fun, not to be missed!
Covid L2 requirements – Important please read
- Do not come to class if you are sick, have recently been sick or think you might be getting sick, if you are sick please email us for a credit.
- You must pre-register by emailing us before 5pm on the 25th of November, we will not be taking any entries at the door. Classes are limited to 20 people.
- You may register for both classes if you want (and levels are appropriate) however note this will be two hours of dancing in a mask so please come prepared with a spare mask etc. Note teachers will offer breaks and you may step outside for a breather at any time.
- You must pay online, we will not be taking cash or eftpos at the door.
- You must wear a mask at all times inside the hall.
- You must scan the QR code (or let us know if you want us to do a manual entry for you).
- Class spacings will be 2m apart, including from teachers.
- Please use the hand sanitiser available and practise good hygiene.
Cost: $35 ($30 student / gold) for either set of classes (i.e., one class per night, three weeks) or $45 ($40 student/ gold) for both sets (i.e. two classes per night, three weeks). If you have credit remaining you can put it towards the cost of this set, please let us know when you email to register if you are choosing to do this. Otherwise all payments to be online (no cash or eftpos at the door) account: 01-0797-0852621-00 (don’t forget your name as a reference!).
Please note there is no social dancing afterwards at the Pegasus Arms during Covid L2 but we encourage you to book a table and grab dinner to support the bar!
Next 6-week set of lindy hop classes starts: Currently on hold due to COVID.
Free taster class: Date TBC once COVID restrictions ease
|7:30 pm||St Michael’s School Hall|
(249 Durham St)
|Level 2||6:30 pm||St Michael’s School Hall|
(249 Durham St)
|Level 3 (first 3 weeks)|
Advanced solo (last 3 weeks)
Performance troupe routine class (6 weeks)
|7:30 pm||Elim Church Dance Studio|
(Upstairs, 285 Cashel St)