UPCOMING DATES FOR CLASSES (AT WOOLSTON CLUB):
End of year workshops
Details and levels:
1) Intro to aerials Open to level 2 and up dancers, come along and learn some fundamentals of safely doing air steps, and get started with some fun basic aerials such as frog jumps, russian kicks and other exciting things. unlike our usual classes you MUST COME WITH A PARTNER because we won’t be rotating. If you’re keen, ask someone in class this week!
2) Tranky doo Open to those who have either done the tranky doo in the past and need a refresher, or else have done LOTS of solo jazz, as this class will move quite fast to get through the whole routine in two weeks
3) Shag solo Open level. Collegiate shag is a fun, high energy partner dance, but you can also do it on your own! This class will introduce you to quite a few basic shag moves which you can then have fun jamming with, or if you already know some collegiate shag maybe you can try incorporating them! Bonus that it’s a nice easy intro to solo dancing.
4) Christmas Jazz (FREE) Open level – it’s a Swingtown Rebels fun festive tradition! *Drink the beer eat the cookies drink the beer eat the cookies* (NB: Beer and cookies not provided but you’re welcome to bring some!)
There will be no classes or socials at Woolston Club for a few weeks over the Christmas period – the last class and social will be the 12th December, the first one in 2019 will be the 16th of January. Enjoy your break, but keep an eye out on the Swingtown Rebels News facebook page for any ad hoc social events that may pop up (and check the socials list below!)
Next FREE beginner taster class
16th January at Woolston Club (43 Hargood St), 7:30 pm. No need to register, just show up on the night! No partner or experience needed. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Next set of 5 week lindy hop classes – 23rd January
All four levels running (Level 2 Intro and Level 3 at 6:30 pm, and Level 1 and Level 2+ at 7:30 pm) – if you’re not sure what level you should be in check in with your teachers or the door peeps at class, or email us at email@example.com
UPCOMING ADDITIONAL SOCIALS:
28th NOVEMBER Vintage theme band night at Woolston Club, 8:30-10:30 pm with the Ellesmere Big Band. Dress ups optional but fun mandatory. Friends and family welcome for a fun night out!
1st DECEMBER Blues Before Christmas 2:30pm – 11pm. Workshops, Pot Luck Dinner and Social Dancing (vinyl blues). Open to everyone who has done at least a couple of beginner blues sets or equivalent (ask a teacher if you’re unsure). All Welcome for dinner and social dancing. https://www.facebook.com/events/1894935800597066/
– End of year Christmas Social at Preserved in Diamond Harbour, Saturday 15th December. Bring the family for an afternoon in the sun (hopefully!) of dancing, food, drinks, icecream and good times over in Diamond Harbour, with Davey Backyard set to play his one man swinging goodness from 1-3 pm. See you there!
ONGOING THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT:
Regular classes and social dancing venue: WOOLSTON CLUB!
Join us every Wednesday night from 6:30-8:30 pm for classes, and 8:30-10:30 pm for social, all at 43 Hargood St for great music, fun dancing, good company and some yummy drinks and food from the bar!
Swingtown Rebels Wednesday classes run on a format of alternating a five week set of lindy hop classes (at levels 1, 2Intro,2+, and 3), with a three week set of classes in other swing styles. Check out styles and levels info here, and see above for upcoming dates and styles.
The swing era had a large range of different dance styles, including lindy hop, blues, balboa, solo Charleston, shag, and many more. These styles are both excellent fun in their own rights, or to incorporate into your lindy hop. A basic understanding of other styles will make you a better, more versatile dancer, and they’re just fun, so we’re hoping everyone gets a taste for them!